So we've run into a bit of trouble. Our anno 2007 laptop has handed in her resignation. We've hired the good guys at Happy Mac to try and convince her otherwise. Until then however we're going to have to make do with posting from our phones, which is easier said than done. So please bear with us while we try to make that work.
In the meantime, we've decided to continue writing and to put together a completely indisputable list of facts & fiction. If we missed something, let us know so we can add it to the list!
(last updated 6/20/2014 and this is new/updated!)
- [Days the laptop has been in the hospital: dead]
- Longest distance driven = 673 miles (Badlands NP, SD to Dodgeville, WI)
- Highest temperature endured: 93° (San Antonio)
- Southern most point (Key West; 24.544899,-81.810532)
- Western most point (La Push; 47.907366, -124.642331)
- Northern most point (Glacier NP/Many Glacier; 48.843500, -113.417077)
Eastern most point (Truro, Nova Scotia; 45.365648, -63.285982)
- Days gone swimming: 9
- Days we've seen snow: 8
- Cheapest/most expensive gallon of gas $3.25/$5.16 (South Carolina/Quebec)
- # of states/provinces visited: 35
- # of food trucks enjoyed: 10
- Hours walked in May (according to Google): 25 hours!
- Best BBQ: Le Barbecue (Austin)
- Best dessert: Kermit's ice cream chocolate covered key lime pie
- Best sea food: trick question, because there's so much out there, so how about a list of what we have had instead: Raw oyster, raw scallops, fried oyster, seared scallops, mussels, fried calamari, tuna, salmon, trout, dungeness crab (cakes and in a salad), shrimp, sea bass, arctic char
- Nights slept under the stars (or in a tent): 18
- Longest wait for a meal: 99 minutes!
- National Parks enjoyed: 13
- Most scenic campsite: Chisos Basin campground (@ Big Bend NP)
- Most blog posts in one day: 3
- Number of hikes (only the real ones count): 6.5 — Big Bend (Lost Mine Trail), Grand Canyon (Bright Angel Trail), Zion (The Narrows), Crater Lake (Crater Rim Road), Olympic NP (Hall of Mosses/Spruce Trail), Arches National Park (Devil's Garden)
- Art sessions: 6 (finally a real painting!)
- Exhaustive list of notable wild animals observed: Anole, Rooster, Iguana, Sea Urchin, Deer, Elk, Grackle, Raven, Woodchuck, Bald Eagle (multiple times!), Woodpecker (the red headed kind), Sea lion/Seal, Snake, California Condor (H9), Pronghorn, Roadrunner, Pheasant, Bison, Mule Deer, Desert Cottontail (Rabbit), Hummingbird, Beaver, Moose, Loon, Golden Eagle, Cormorant, Sandhill Crane, Barrow's Goldeneye Duck, Steller's Jay, Sergeant Major (Fish), Porkfish, Prairie Dog